Welcome to UEST
The Unit of Environmental Science and Technology (UEST) is an educational and research unit at the School of Chemical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens. The unit works in collaboration with other Universities, research institutes, public and local authorities and with the private sector with the aim of enhancing education, research, technology and innovation.
UEST works in close cooperation with competent Ministries and other Governmental agencies, as well as various European and International Organizations, providing environmental management inputs for the development and implementation of national strategies and action plans. UEST has been the National Reference Center of Greece representing the country at the European Topic Center on Waste and Material Flows (ETC/WMF) of the European Environment Agency (EEA).
The Unit has undertaken more than 100 projects, national, international and European including Life-Environment, Life-3rd Countries, Twinning and MEDA-Water projects etc.
Areas of expertise of UEST
The areas of expertise of UEST include the following:
- Development of programs for the integrated management of wastewater
- Design, application and optimization of lab-scale and pilot-scale systems, including state-of-the-art technologies for the treatment of industrial wastewater and solid waste
- Development and application of systems for prevention and control of environmental pollution
- Development and application of inventory programs concerning the production of solid waste (municipal and industrial) and industrial wastewater
- Development of appropriate schemes for the integrated management of municipal solid waste in local and national level
- Development of best management schemes for the integrated management of special types of solid waste (batteries, plastics, used oils, used tires, end-of-life vehicles demolition waste etc) at local and national level
- Development of appropriate schemes for the integrated management of hazardous waste at local and national level
- Development and application of appropriate decision support tools for the management of solid waste
- Development and application of decision support tools for the selection of the appropriate site for the installation of waste and wastewater treatment plants
- Development and application of decision support systems for the estimation and the time prediction of the pollution in contaminated sites
- Environmental impact assessment
- Development of simulation models and other software tools
- Life-Cycle analysis, eco-design end-of-life management of various products
- Air Pollution and pollution prevention and control
- Energy Engineering: Energy conservation in the industry. Renewable energy systems: Geothermal, Biomass, Solar, and Wind. Energy Co-generation. Coal Combustion, Gasification and liquefaction. Biomass Gasification
- Process Engineering: Process Design of environmental systems; Simulation of environmental and chemical systems; Environmental process synthesis; Reaction synthesis; optimisation of single and multiple objectives; Modelling and control of polymerisation reactors; dynamic simulation of systems