The ATHENS BIOWASTE project aims at the pilot screening of bio source in selected areas of the Municipalities of Athens and Kifissia and their processing plant in Mechanical and Biological Treatment (EMAK) of ESDKNA to produce high quality compost.
Furthermore, by developing appropriate software tools it will identify the benefits of sustainable methods for managing biowaste on emissions of greenhouses gases (contribution to climate change), while an assessment will be carried out on the quality of compost produced given the composition and methods of collection of biowaste. Through these objectives and through the development of an appropriate guide will promote and foster the market for compost and create awareness of the general public, the competent authorities and other stakeholders regarding the management of biowaste. In addition, proposals will be drafted to amend the specifications and legislation for waste management.
The specific objectives are:
- The development of integrated management of biowaste in Greece
- The evaluation of alternative management options for biowaste based on its whole life cycle
- The evaluation of the final quality of compost according to the characteristics of input materials and other operating parameters
- The formation of the basis for establishing a market for compost in Greece
- The evaluation of alternative screening systems
- The configuration of the first separation at source system for biowaste in Greece
- The provision of guidance to local waste management authorities for the management of biowaste
- The increase of environmental awareness and knowledge of citizens, authorities and other interested stakeholders on the management of biowaste
- The preparation of proposals to amend the existing technical specifications contained in the Greek legislation